Guide to Sponsoring Your Spouse for Immigration in Canada

  • Home
  • Guide to Sponsoring Your Spouse for Immigration in Canada

It is estimated that 18,000 of Canada’s spousal sponsorship applications will be processed by the end of the year. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) made this important announcement recently, highlighting the dynamic steps it is taking to reunite families and loved ones as quickly as it can.

In recent years, Canada has been targeting some 70,000 new immigrants to obtain permanent residence each year under its spousal, partner, and children’s family class sponsorship category. This is due to the Canadian government viewing family reunification as a top priority.

Many people have had their application processing delayed due to the outbreak of the coronavirus; however, the preventive measures announced by IRCC should get rid of these backlogs.

If you wish to submit a new spousal sponsorship application, you can consult with a spousal sponsorship consultant in Canada to make the process easier. Below is some key information that you must know before applying.

Details of the Process

Citizens and permanent residents of the country can sponsor a common-law partner, spouse, or conjugal partner to acquire permanent residence.

The Canadian national, aka the “sponsor,” and the foreign national, aka the “sponsored individual,” must have the IRCC’s approval for the person getting sponsored to obtain permanent residence.

The sponsor, along with the sponsored person, must show proof to IRCC of their relationship coming under one of the following categories:

  • Spouse
  • Conjugal partner
  • Common-law partner

Canada spousal sponsorship also takes into account same-sex marriages. Same-sex partners can apply under any of the categories as long as IRCC’s eligibility criteria are met.

Eligibility Criteria

Many immigration consultants in Canada can assist you in sponsoring your partner, but only if:

  • You are above the age of 18 years.
  • You are a Canadian national, permanent resident, or registered in Canada as a foreigner under the relevant laws.
  • If you’re a Canadian residing abroad, you must prove that you plan to live in Canada with the sponsored person once they turn into a permanent resident.
  • A permanent resident can sponsor their partner if the permanent resident lives in Canada.

Whom Can You Sponsor?

  • Spouse: Your spouse must be lawfully wedded to you and above the age of 18.
  • Common-law partner: They may or may not be legally married to you, but at least 18 years old and should be living with you for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.
  • Conjugal partner: They may or may not be legally married to you, but at least 18 years old and should be in a relationship with you for a year minimum. These partners must be living outside Canada and can’t live with you in their country of residence or marry you because of consequential immigration and legal reasons.

The above-stated reasons may include their marital status (e.g., bound in marriage with someone else in a country where divorce isn’t possible), their sexual orientation (e.g., same-sex relationships are prohibited in their country), and persecution (e.g., your relationship is between religious sects in a country where it’s not accepted). You’ll need to prove you couldn’t live together or marry together in your conjugal partner’s homeland.